The great-grandfather dies after documents missed a horrific bone fracture

    John's broken bone pierced his skin

    The enraged family is demanding answers after their great-grandfather “died with a broken bone sticking out of his leg” because hospital doctors “could not notice the injury.”

    An enraged daughter of John Jenkinson is now demanding to find out why her father was sent home from Royal Stoke University Hospital with an “undiagnosed leg fracture”.

    The great-grandfather of three children went to the Hartshill complex after falling into his home in Stafford on August 13 and stayed in hospital for about 10 days before being sent home, reports StokeOnTrentLive.

    But when he was discharged, daughter Lisa Jenkinson says doctors did not notice that the 80-year-old boy had a broken leg.

    John’s broken bone pierced his skin

    Just two days later, Lisa called John’s therapist, who immediately noticed that his leg was deformed and warned her that a broken bone could break through the skin.

    Retired prison officer John had previously undergone two knee replacements and suffered from a number of ailments, including heart failure, septic arthritis, asthma and COPD.

    He was on care at the end of his life, and Lisa says he refused to return to the hospital for foot treatment because he was afraid to die there.

    The bone went through the skin on Sept. 16, and Lisa says her father was in tremendous pain.

    He died at home on November 25, and while investigators ruled that a broken leg did not cause John’s death, Lisa believes her father’s terrible pain could have been avoided.

    Now Lisa has filed a formal complaint with Royal Stoke.

    The incident took place at Royal Stock Hospital

    The 52-year-old said: “He fell at home and was taken to Royal Stoke. He had an x-ray of his thigh, but did not have an X-ray around his leg and, in my opinion, failed to break his leg.

    “I said he could walk normally and asked why he couldn’t walk in the hospital. I explained to them that it was abnormal.

    “But my dad wanted to go home, and when I talked to the doctor, he just said he was on treatment at the end of his life and no longer needed to be hospitalized.

    “He was sent home. A few days after he left the hospital, he was in severe pain.

    “He didn’t want to go back to the hospital, and the precinct nurse team knew the bone would go through the skin. Every day it comes out more and more.

    “He could not walk or move in bed. He could not move until someone moved him, and he had terrible bedsores. Before the fall he had no incontinence, but because he could not move, he had to use pads It was awful.

    “I think something could have been done when he was in the hospital.”

    John Jenkinson's daughter needs answers
    John Jenkinson’s daughter needs answers

    Lisa says she wants the hospital to agree with John’s leg on the x-ray. She says her father died of “great pain” which she thought could have been avoided and she does not want anyone else to suffer from it.

    Lisa added: “The investigation found that the bone that ran through his skin did not contribute to his death, and I accept that. But I think it contributed to the fact that he lost the will to live. He was in so much pain that he thought that was all.

    “I don’t think he had to die with a bone sticking out of his leg. Just because he’s been in custody doesn’t mean you don’t have to make sure it’s as good as possible.

    I want the hospital to admit that they had to do a leg x-ray. I got a call from the complaints department and they are now considering it. The hospital is very hard to ask, “Did you do it or what?”, You think they did all you need.

    “It was absolutely awful to be a witness. It was incredible. My dad died of severe pain that could have been avoided and I don’t want anyone else to suffer from it.”

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, be sure to subscribe to one of our newsletters here.

    Speaking to StokeOnTrentLive, Chief Nurse Anne Marie Riley of Royal Stoke said: “We will always strive to provide the highest standards of care and will investigate if patients and families express concerns about the care provided in our hospitals to solve any problems and see if there are lessons to be learned.

    “We have received a complaint from John Jenkinson’s daughter and will investigate the problems that have arisen with her father and report on our results.

    “During the investigation, the coroner concluded that John Jenkinson died of long-standing complications after knee replacement and after a fall.”

    Previous articleNicholas Cage reveals that he will give birth to a baby girl from Rick Shibato
    Next articleEmily Skye praised for the “honest” bloated belly