Nadal has been hailed for returning to action in Madrid, 45 days after his last match in Indian Wells that he was forced to play with a broken rib. The Spaniard picked up the injury in his semi-final before losing the championship match to Taylor Fritz the following day and had been out of action since, making a winning return on Wednesdsy against Kecmanovic.
After the match, retired former WTA world No 5 Daniela Hantuchova said it was a “miracle” the 35-year-old was already back in action, having broken her own rib three times in the past. “It’s unbelievable,” she told Prime Video.
“When I heard it was the rib, since I had mine broken three times, I know how long it takes. And to see him here in Madrid, I think it’s a miracle.” The seven-time tour title winner also thought Nadal himself had not been expecting to return to competition so soon, something that would have helped him in his opening match against the world No 32.
JUST IN: Djokovic responds after ex-coach fails to warn him about new player
**We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures, and video on this breaking news story.
For the latest news and breaking news visit:/sport
Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion, and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real-time.
We’re also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport – offering your must-see news, features, videos, and pictures throughout the day to like, comment, and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express, and Express.co.uk.**