Home UK & World Llandovery fire was a ‘fully developed’ blaze in terraced house

Llandovery fire was a ‘fully developed’ blaze in terraced house


Llandovery’s local fire station crew were called out late on Sunday afternoon following reports of a fire in an upstairs bedroom in the town.

Initially, the information received by the firefighters at 5:13pm related to a report of a “fire-domestic” but upon arrival, the crew say they were met with “a fully developed fire in a terraced house in the upstairs bedroom.”

The crew immediately determined that there was no one inside the property before isolating gas and electric supplies. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then entered the house, thought to be in Waterloo Street, to extinguish and then ventilate the property.

Crews at the scene said that the fire was quickly brought under control, preventing a potential spread through the roof space and into neighbouring buildings. In total, they said, they deployed four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, used four thermal image cameras to see through the smoke and identify the seat of the fire, and utilised two hose reel jets plus a safety jet to extinguish the fire in the bedroom.

The firefighters were assisted at the scene by colleagues from Llanwrtyd Wells Fire Brigade & Co Responder, and Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police. Investigations are ongoing to establish how the fire broke out.

Blackened scorch marks appear above the window of the bedroom in Waterloo Street, Llandovery

The house was just yards from a general merchant’s shop ironically called the Jubilee Stores, so called after the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.

News of the fire was put out on social media by Love Llandovery, a community Facebook page that focuses on the shops, businesses, attractions, people, history and events in the town. Praising the work of the fire crew, the page administrator wrote: “Our wonderful hard working local fire brigade coming to the rescue at a house fire this evening . . . they work many long hours with little recognition. I want to say well done.”

Andrea Rogers commented under pictures published of the scene: “Just behind The Jubilee stores too! Proud of my niece Ella and her fellow firefighters.”

For more stories from where you live, visit InYourArea.


Previous articleQueen Elizabeth II promises to continue the service after 70 years of rule
Next articleBolton student set for out-of-this-world summer at European Space Camp