British Gas customers struggling amid the cost of living crisis could be entitled to £1,500 off their energy bills. Here’s how to check if you’re eligible for the hefty grant
Image: Getty Images/Image Source)
Martin Lewis has warned that energy bills could rise by another £1,000 this winter, as Brits continue to struggle against the cost of living crisis.
Experts at Cornwall Insights predict the Ofgem energy price cap, which sets a limit on the rates a supplier can charge for each unit of gas and electricity you use, will rise to £2,980 in October, before hitting £3,000 in January.
While the government has confirmed every home in England, Scotland and Wales will get £400 off their energy bills – as part of a wider £15billion cost of living package – some households are still finding it difficult not to fall into debt.
However, thousands of British Gas customers could be eligible for a grant to help them get back on track with their energy bill payments.
AFP via Getty Images)
The British Gas Energy Trust offers grants up to £1,500 for customers with an energy debt between £250 – £750. Check the criteria below to see if you are eligible:
- You live in England, Scotland or Wales
- You have not received a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust within the last 2 years
- You must be seeking a grant to clear an outstanding debt on a current or open gas, electricity or dual fuel energy account in your name or be a member of that household. The energy account must relate to your main residence
- You have electric and / or gas debt
- You do not have savings above £1,000
- You have received help from a money advice agency
Want the latest news and expert money saving advice? Share your email for the biggest finance headlines, tips and more from the Mirror
To apply for the grant, British Gas customers will need the following:
- Proof of money advice received in the last three months – individuals and families fund only
- Proof of all household income – including three recent consecutive wage slips or benefit statement less than a year old
- A meter read for your gas and/or electricity account – if you’re a British Gas customer – or your most recent gas and electricity bill
You can apply for the British Gas Energy Trust grant here